Implementing asides

Please excuse any funkyness like the entry below over the next couple of days.

I’m in the middle of implementing Photo Matt’s asides onto this blog. With work and all, it’s getting harder and harder to blog every time that I would like to. However this way, if there’s a cool little link snippet I find, I can always post it up very quickly via my trusty WordPress bookmarklet. 🙂

UPDATE: Actually, because of my weird template, I couldn’t really implement PhotoMatt’s asides without doing a major rework of the code in my template. Instead, I opted for Markku Seguerra’s excellent Recent Links plug-in for my needs. It was a very easy install and configuring it wasn’t a hassle at all. It’s definitely good seeing how the more recent plug-ins that are being developed for WordPress seem to Plug and Play so well with the interface.

I also turned on the Login and Register functionality of this blog but I really have no idea what it does. Let me know if anything wonky happens with that. 🙂

UPDATE: Hmm, looks like registering does nothing on this site other than let you fill out a profile, so I turned it back off.

Some said it couldn’t get better

They were dead wrong…

I just upgraded to WordPress 1.2 and I have to say, great job WP team! The upgrade was amazingly and ridiculously quick, (like a half a second) but I do have to admit that I had to change a few template tags over to newer versions. It didn’t bother me in the least bit because the new template tags better reflect what they do in the context of the code. However, I did notice that many of my comments were showing their escaped ticks (‘) as opposed to normal apostrophe. A quick check on the support forums just now and I see that this small issue will be fixed as soon as I finish this post.

As usual, if you notice any wonkiness, let me know. 🙂

Houston we have lift off!

It looks like the bug has been squashed. At least when I asked a few of my friends to do a once over with IE on this blog. If you happen to notice anything different, it’s the font. It turns out that the font I was using wasn’t a standard one so it caused problems. I switched to good old Tahoma for my entries and none of my friends can see the text bug again. Can anyone else out there verify?

Turns out a visit to the #web channel on the freenode IRC network solved all of my problems. A very helpful and extremely knowledgeable fellow named ‘badon’ let me know of this problem with Internet Explorer and certain fonts. Turns out he designed his company’s web site and it’s a really well thought out, accessible and compliant design. They also have a very nifty page for all to use to tell everyone about the dangers of using IE, plus instructions on how to display it on your site. Either way, I’m glad I was able to find someone knowledgeable enough to tell me what was wrong with the design rather than blowing it off as another IE issue.

So, if any of you ever have any weird problems that you want an answer to, just hop on IRC and head over to the #web channel on the freenode net. They all seem like a very friendly bunch. 🙂

Pissing in your gas tank II

Wow.

Indeed there is a new vulnerability present in SecurityFocus’s BugTraq that focuses in on the entry I found the other day. I’m still not completely in agreement that this is a security vulnerability because I can’t see how you can exploit this to cause more harm than crashing a browser. Still the fact that it can crash a browser is bad enough and if there’s a way to have the browser outright reject shit code (like Mozilla based browsers do) then I suppose that’s a good thing.

In other news, I have yet to figure out the mysterious missing text phenomenon associated with this new skin. Unfortunately all avenues of help I have taken thus far have lead to dead ends mostly ending with “Have your users switch to Mozilla/FireFox/Browser X,” which I personally find frustrating since half of the people who come here use IE. So now I am supposed to tell every person coming here to use Mozilla or similar browser. Yeah right… Granted IE is well known for it’s problems relating to complying with web stadards and playing nice with CSS, I find it very disheartening that it’s next to impossible to find some decent help on this issue. If this is indeed a bug, it can be fixed which means either way, there has to be a workaround for this problem.

That’s not to say that I’m not looking into a few more avenues for answers however. Some kind folks on the WordPress IRC channel sent over a few useful links with hopefully some answers as to why this is going on. If you see anything funky this weekend with this layout, it’s me just messeing around with some CSS.